Current, wind, and waves are our business.
Aquaculture & Fisheries
- A. Turner, D. Steinke, R. Nicoll, P. Stenmark, “Comparison of Taut and Catenary Mooring Systems For Finfish Aquaculture” Proceedings of the 37th Annual International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE) 2018. June 17-22, Madrid, Spain.
- A. Turner, D. Steinke, R. Nicoll “Application of Wake Shielding Effects with a Finite Element Net Model in Determining Hydrodynamic Loading on Aquaculture Net Pens” Proceedings of the 36th Annual International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE) 2017. June 25-30, Trondheim, Norway.
- R. Nicoll, D. Steinke, J. Attia, A. Roy, B. Buckham “Simulation of A High-Energy Finfish Aquaculture Site Using a Finite Element Net Model” Proceedings of the 30th Annual International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE) 2011. June 19-24, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- A. Turner, “Experimental investigation of Canadian East and West Coast fish farm hydrodynamic wake properties and its implications for Integrated Multi-Trophic Aquaculture” Master’s Thesis, University of New Brunswick, 2015.
- K. McTaggart, A. Roy, D. Steinke, R. Nicoll, D. Perrault, Simulation of Small Boat Launch and Recovery from a Ship with a Crane, ASNE Launch and Recovery Symposium 2012, November 14-15, 2012, Maritime Institute of Technology and Graduate Studies (MITAGS), Linthicum, MD.
- G . Watt, A. Roy, J. Currie, C. Gillis, J. Giesbrecht, G. Heard, M. Birsan, M. Seto, J. Carretero, R. Dubay, T. Jeans “A Concept for Docking UUV Wtih a Slowly Moving Submarine Under Waves” IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol. 41 no. 2, 471-498, April 2016.
Marine Renewable Energy
- I. Bivol, P. Jeffcoate, L. Johanning, R. Nicoll, J. Steynor, V. Venugopal, “PLAT-O#2 at FloWave: A tank-scale validation of ProteusDS at modelling the response of a tidal device to currents (Part 2)” Proceedings of the 4th Asian Wave and Tidal Energy Conference 2018 (AWTEC) Sept 9-13, Taipei, Taiwan
- Cribbs, A. R; Karrsten, G. R.; Shelton, J. T.; Nicoll, R. S. & Stewart, W. P., “Mooring system configuration for renewable energy standards,” Proceedings of the Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) May 1-4, 2017, Houston, Texas, USA
- F. Wendt, Y. Yu, K. Neilsen, K.Ruehl, T. Bunnik, I.Touzon, B. Nam, J. Kim, K. Kim, C. Janson, K. Jakobsen, S. Crowley, L. Vega, K. Rajagopalan, T. Mathai, D. Greaves, E. Ransley, P. Lamont-Kane, W. Sheng, R. Costello, B. Kennedy, S. Thomas, P. Heras, H. Bingham, A. Kurniawan, M. Kramer, D.Ogden, S. Girardin, A. Babarit, P. Wuillaume, D. Steinke, A. Roy, S. Beatty, P. Schofield “IEA OES Task 10 WEC Modelling Verification and Validation” Proceedings of the 12th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference 2017 (EWTEC) Aug 27-Sept-1st, Cork, Ireland
- A. Baron, D. Steinke, A. Turner, G. Trowse, R. Cheel, A. Hay, R. Karsten, T. Roc, T. Jeans,”Dynamic Analysis Validation of the Floating ecoSpray Tidal Energy Test Platform” Proceedings of the 12th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference 2017 (EWTEC) Aug 27-Sept 1st-4, Cork, Ireland.
- I. Bivol, P. Jeffcoate, L. Johanning, R. Nicoll, “PLAT-O#2 at FloWave: A tank-scale validation of ProteusDS dynamic analysis tool for floating tidal” Proceedings of the 12th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference 2017 (EWTEC) Aug 27-Sept 1st-4, Cork, Ireland.
- A.R. Cribbs and G.R. Kärrsten, J.T. Shelton, R.S. Nicoll, W.P. Stewart, “Mooring System Considerations for Renewable Energy Standards” Proceedings of the 2017 Offshore Technology Conference, May 1-4, Houston, Texas.
- A. Baron, D. Steinke, R. Starzmann, S. Bischof, K. Jacobsen, “Validation of ProteusDS numerical model using TRITON test tank data”, Proceedings of 3rd Asian Wave and Tidal Energy Conference (AWTEC), Singapore, Oct 24-48, 2016
- P. Jeffcoate, F. Fiore, E. O’Farrell, D. Steinke, A. Baron, R. Starzmann, S. Bischof, “Comparison of Simulations of Taut-Moored Platform PLAT-O using ProteusDS with Experiments”, Proceeding of the 3rd Asian Wave and Tidal Energy Conference (AWTEC), Singapore, Oct 24-28, 2016
- S. Beatty, A. Roy, K. Bubbar, J. Ortiz, B. Buckham, P. Wild, D. Steinke, R. Nicoll, “Experimental and Numerical Simulations of Moored Self-Reacting Point Absorber Wave Energy Converters” Proceedings of the 25th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference, At Kona, Big Island, Hawaii, USA, June 2015.
- A. Combourieu, M. Lawson, A. Babarit, K. Ruehl, A.Roy, R. Costello, P. Weywada, H. Bailey, “WEC3: Wave Energy Converter Code Comparison Project” Proceedings of the 11th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference 2017 (EWTEC) Sept 6-11 2015, Nantes, France.
- D. Steinke, A.J. Baron, D. Weaver, Getting Plugged In: Assessment of Cable Lay Operations For Tidal Energy Developments In The Minas, 2013 Nova Scotia Tidal Energy Research Symposium and Forum, Symposium Proceedings, May 14-15, 2013, Wolfville, NS.
- R. S. Nicoll, C. F. Wood, A. R. Roy, Comparison of physical model tests with a time domain simulation model of a wave energy converter, Proceedings of the ASME 2012 31st International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, OMAE 2012, July 1-6, 2012, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- M.Hall, B. Buckham, C. Crawford, R. Nicoll, “The Importance of Mooring Line Model Fidelity in Floating Wind Turbine Simulations.” Proceedings of Oceans 2011, Hilton Waikoloa Village
Waikoloa, HI, USA, 19 Sep – 22 Sep 2011.
- R. Nicoll and C. F. Wood, Nonlinear parametric analysis of a wave energy converter, Proceedings of the 2010 CSME Forum, Victoria, British Columbia, 2010.
- S. Beatty, C. Hiles, R. S. Nicoll, J. E. Adamson, B. J. Buckham, Design synthesis of a wave energy converter, Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, May – June 31 – 5, 2009.
- S. Beatty, R. S. Nicoll, P. Wild, and B. J. Buckham, Harnessing the power of wave energy converters, Journal of Ocean Technology, 2009, 4, 16-27.
- Shuo Huang, Wenyang Duan, Xuliang Han, Ryan Nicoll, Yage You, Songwei Sheng; Numerical analysis of sloshing and floating body coupled motion in the time-domain, Ocean Engineering, Volume 164, September 2018.
- D.M. Steinke, R.S. Nicoll, T. Thompson, B. Paterson, Design Methodology and Numerical Analysis of a Cable Ferry, 2013 SNAME Annual Meeting & Expo and Ship Production Proceedings, November 6-8, 2013, Bellevue, WA, USA.
- J. Zand, B.J. Buckham, D. Steinke, D. Constantinescu, Ship and Winch Regulation for Remotely Operated Vehicle Waypoint Navigation, Proceedings of the Eighteenth (2008) International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 6-11, 2008.
- A. Roy, S. Beatty, V. Mishra, D. Steinke, R. Nicoll, Bradley J Buckham, “Comparison Of Numerical Simulations With Experimental Measurements For The Response Of A Modified Submerged Horizontal Cylinder Moored In Waves”, Proceedings of the ASME 2015 34th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, OMAE 2015, May 31-June 5, 2015, St. John’s, NL, Canada
- Roy, A. R. & Carretero, J. A. “A Volume-Based Contact Dynamics Model with Asymmetric Damping Independent of the Coefficient of Restitution” Proceedings of the 2009 CCToMM Symposium on Mechanisms, Machines, and Mechatronics, 2009.
- D. Steinke, B.J. Buckham, R. Nicoll, “Design Through Simulations: Finite Element Capabilities for Ocean Engineering”, Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, Estoril, Portugal, June 15-20, 2008
- R. Nicoll, B.J. Buckham, F. Driscoll, Optimization of a Direct Drive Heave Compensator, ISOPE 2008, Vancouver, BC, July 6-11, 2008.
- Roy, A. R.; Carretero, J. A. & Buckham, B. J. “Detecting Tether Self-Collisions in Tethered ROV Simulations” The proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (OMAE), 2007.
- R. Nicoll, Dynamic Simulation of Marine Risers with Vortex Induced Vibration, M.A.Sc. Thesis, University of Victoria, 2006.
- Bertails, F.; Audoly, B.; Querleux, B.; Leroy, F.; Leveque, J.-L. & Cani, M.-P, “Predicting natural hair shapes by solving the statics of flexible rods” Proceedings of EUROGRAPHICS 2005
- B. Buckham, F. Driscoll, M. Nahon, Development of a finite element cable model for use in low tension dynamics simulation, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 2004, 71, 476-485.
- B. Buckham, F. Driscoll, M. Nahon, B. Radanovic, Torsional mechanics in dynamics simulation of low-tension marine tethers, International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, 2004, 14, 218-226.
Offshore & Subsea
- Krasin, B. Lee, P. Newlin, K. Brennan, R. Nicoll, C. Wilson, N. Noseworthy, J. Chitwood, A. Schroeder, T. Gay, Consultant; D. Cercone, J. M. Pappas, “A New Subsea Large Load Deployment System” Proceedings of the 2016 Offshore Technology Conference, May 2-5, Houston, Texas.
- D. Steinke, R.S. Nicoll, A.R. Roy, Real-Time Finite Element Analysis Of A Remotely Operated Pipeline Repair System, Proceedings of 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, OMAE 2013, June 9-14, 2013, Nantes, France
- Roy, A.; Carretero, J. A.; Buckham, B. J. & Nicoll, R. S. “Continuous Collision Detection of Cubic-Spline-Based Tethers in ROV Simulations” Journal of Offshore Mechanical and Arctic Engineering, 2009, 131, 041102-10
- D. Steinke, Design and Simulation of a Kalman Filter for ROV Navigation, M.A.Sc. Thesis, University of Victoria, 2005.
- D. Steinke, B. Buckham, “A Kalman Filter for the Navigation of Remotely Operated Vehicles”, IEEE Oceans 2005 One Ocean, Sept 18-23, 2005, Washington D.C.
- B. Buckham, D. Steinke, S. Prabhakar, “Evaluation of the ROPOS Liveboating Configuration using Dynamics Simulation,” 20th Canadian Congress of Applied Mechanics, May 30-June 2, 2005, Montreal, QC, Canada, p 170-171.
- B. Buckham, Dynamics Modelling of Low-Tension Tethers for Submerged Remotely Operated Vehicles, PhD Thesis, University of Victoria, 2003.
- B. Buckham, M. Nahon, Formulation and validation of a lumped mass model for low-tension ROV tethers, International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, 2001, 11, 282-289.